'Boardwalk Empire' Ending With Season 5
An expected move for HBO, the cable network announces at TCA that the Terence Winter drama will wrap up in fall 2014.
HBO is making one last trip to Atlantic City. The network confirmed Thursday that the upcoming fifth season of Boardwalk Empire will be the series' last.
"It has been an incredible honor to bring this powerful and groundbreaking series to our subscribers," said programming president Michael Lombardo. "Terry Winter has created one for the ages."
Winter, who's currently garnering Oscar buzz for his work writing The Wolf of Wall Street, premiered Boardwalk Empire in 2010. His relationship with HBO dates back to his time writing for The Sopranos.
"We're thrilled to get the go-ahead for a fifth season of Boardwalk Empire," said Winter. "After much discussion with my creative team and HBO, we've decided to wrap up the series after such a great run and look forward to bringing it to a powerful and exciting conclusion."
The decision to end the series does appear to be one based on the direction of the series. Boardwalk Empire, though softer in its fourth run, does not hurt in ratings -- ranking behind Game of Thrones and True Blood in the network's roster of most watched programs.
It has also been a consistent awards show favorite. Though it was snubbed for best series (along with lead Steve Buscemi) at the 2013 Emmys, it still scored more wins than any other scripted television program -- including an acting nod for supporting actor Bobby Cannavale.
Boardwalk Empire returns in the fall.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10