'Boardwalk Empire' Finale Ratings Fall Just Shy of Last Season
The season's second-most-watched episode with 2.7 million viewers, the ender is down by 300,000 from Michael Pitt's 2011 swan song.
Boardwalk Empire concluded another season in typically brutal fashion on Sunday night, and 2.7 million viewers tuned in to see HBO wrap up the latest run of the Steve Buscemi starrer.
That's about 300,000 viewers shy of the December 2011 finale, which brought in 3 million viewers in its first outing and famously dispatched series co-lead Michael Pitt. With multiple plays during the course of the night, Sunday's Boardwalk Empire attracted a total of 4.3 million viewers.
Terence Winter's Prohibition-era drama set in Atlantic City continues to be an exceptionally steady performer for the cable network. It returned in September with a premiere haul of 2.9 million viewers in its inguinal broadcast, the same number its sophomore opener brought. And while Sunday night's season finale doesn't match that haul, it is the season's second-most-watched episode.
Season-to-date, Boardwalk Empire has grossed 7.6 million viewers per episode with originals, DVR usage, on-demand and HBO Go all taken into consideration. The second season averaged 8 million viewers.
Boardwalk Empire was renewed for a fourth season in October.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, Plus A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10