ABC Family's 'Bunheads' Has Soft Debut
The new ballet drama faced competition from Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals on NBC.
Amy Sherman-Palladino's return to television wasn't as splashy as ABC Family may have been hoping for.
Launching on the same night as Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals on NBC between eventual victor Los Angeles Kings and the New Jersey Devils, Bunheads drew 1.7 million total viewers at 9 p.m. following the season five premiere of Secret Life of the American Teenager.
To compare, that's well below the series launch of Switched at Birth last year but above the debuts of Jane by Design and The Lying Game.
In ABC Family's key demographics, the ballet drama averaged 326,000 in women 18-34 and 626,000 in women 18-49 for the hour. Among adults 18-49, Bunheads drew 735,000.
Elsewhere on the dial, the hourlong faced MasterChef and the second hour of The Bachelorette.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)