Cedric the Entertainer: TV Land Renews 'Soul Man' for Second Season
The "Hot in Cleveland" spinoff averaged 1.06 million viewers during its 12-episode run.
TV Land is doubling down on Cedric the Entertainer.
The cable network has renewed freshman comedy The Soul Man for a second season, the star announced Tuesday night on Twitter.
The series, a spinoff created by Hot in Cleveland showrunner Suzanne Martin, stars Cedric as an R&B superstar-turned-reverend who retires to St. Louis to become a preacher in his father's church.
The comedy's June premiere ranked as TV Land's second-highest rated series debut in network history among adults 25-54 and women 25-54 -- behind Hot in Cleveland -- with a 1.0 rating and 1 million viewers in adults 25-54. The series finished its 12-episode freshman run averaging 1.06 million total viewers.
Soul Man, which co-stars Niecy Nash, joins recent renewals including The Exes.
"We are looking forward to sharing good news about the second season of The Soul Man very soon,” TV Land said in a statement Thursday.
TV Land could not be reached for comment.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR