Charlie Sheen Breaks Silence on Angus T. Jones 'Meltdown,' Says 'Two and a Half Men' Is 'Cursed'
The actor, who was infamously fired from the Chuck Lorre comedy last year, speaks out about his former co-star’s headline-making YouTube video.
Charlie Sheen is speaking out about his former Two and a Half Men co-star Angus T. Jones’ recent “meltdown,” in which the 19-year-old actor referred to the Chuck Lorre comedy as “filth” and begged viewers to “please stop watching.”
In a statement to People, Sheen zinged, “With Angus’ Hale-Bopp-like meltdown, it is radically clear to me that the show is cursed.” The comment references the Heaven's Gate cult, whose 39 members killed themselves in 1997 in an effort to reach what they presumed to be an alien spacecraft following Comet Hale-Bopp.
For his part, Sheen is no stranger to meltdowns. The actor was infamously fired from the show last year after lashing out at co-creator Lorre and producers in a public tirade. Shortly thereafter, Ashton Kutcher stepped in to join Jones and Jon Cryer on the series.
Jones made headlines Monday after a YouTube video went viral in which he discussed his newfound Christian faith in great detail.
In the clip, published by Forerunner and featuring the organization’s controversial leader Christopher Hudson, Jones suggested that Two and a Half Men was promoting the word of Satan.
"A lot of people don't like to think about how deceptive the enemy is," said Jones. "There's no playing around when it comes to eternity. … People will see us and be like, 'I can be a Christian and be on a show like Two and a Half Men.' You can't. You cannot be a true God-fearing person and be on a television show like that. I know I can't."
In his speech, Jones also said: “If you watch Two and a Half Men, please stop watching Two and a Half Men. I'm on Two and a Half Men and I don't want to be on it. Please stop watching it and filling your head with filth. People say it’s just entertainment. Do some research on the effects of television and your brain, and I promise you, you’ll have a decision to make when it comes to television, especially with what you watch."
Sources told The Hollywood Reporter on Tuesday that Jones’ character, Jake, will not appear in the next two episodes that are being filmed -- airing in the new year -- but that his absence is purely coincidental and has nothing to do with his comments.
Two and a Half Men producer Warner Bros. Television declined comment.
Email: Sophie.Schillaci@thr.com; Twitter: @SophieSchillaci
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)