Charlotte Church Turns Down 'X Factor' Gig; Says Show 'Kills Music'
"I'd rather poke my eyes out with sticks," the Welsh singer tweeted.
Welsh singer Charlotte Church has taken aim at X Factor with the revelation that she turned down an offer to join the U.K. panel as a judge.
The 27-year-old classical and pop artist blasted the show, tweeting on Aug. 8, “I got asked to do the X Factor job. I’d rather poke my eyes out with sticks than be a part of the machine that kills music.”
She further explained the circumstances under which she received the offer, writing, “I had a meeting to ask about the level of involvement in the creative process I could have, and they basically said none unless it was in line with what was required … I wanted to see just how hard-line it was. I found my answer and politely declined.”
Subsequent reports out of the U.K. cite an X Factor source who says producers found Church "boring," adding that "she was never high on the priority list as there were far bigger names producers were looking at."
On Aug. 6, music manager and veteran X Factor U.K. judge Louis Walsh announced he would not return after the show's 10th season. Sharon Osbourne, Take That star Gary Barlow and Nicole Scherzinger currently round out the panel.
As for Church, the tweet read around the world comes at an opportune time -- just before the release of a new EP. Titled THREE, it's set to come out on Aug. 19 in the U.K.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Lindsay Lohan Misses Her AA Meeting, Blames Paparazzi On Premiere Of OWN Series (VIDEO)
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed