Comic-Con 2011: 'Sanctuary' to Feature Musical Episode in Season 4
During Saturday's panel, executive producer and star Amanda Tapping revealed some spoilers for the upcoming season, beginning in October.
Syfy's Sanctuary, starring Comic-Con vet Amanda Tapping (Dr. Helen Magnus) and Robin Dunne (Dr. Will Zimmerman), engaged a full Indigo Ballroom crowd at the Hilton Bayfront on Saturday,
It was a light, fun-filled session, with Tapping -- who serves as an executive producer on the drama -- and Dunne offering entertaining anecdotes about their fellow actors and what's coming up in the new season.
The pair offered a tease for Season 4, revealing to the audience that there will be a musical episode in Season 4. "It's not Glee. It's more like The Exorcist the Musical," Tapping explained.
When asked if Tapping or Dunne would appear on Destination Truth (the panel was moderated by the series' Josh Gates), the panelists said to stay tuned.
With Tapping's rich Stargate history, what is the chance that there will be more Stargate alums appearing on Sanctuary in the near future? "I would love to have Jewel [Staite] on the show," Tapping says.
On a more serious note, Tapping talked about the negativity attached to sci-fi sometimes: "There's this weird stigma that comes with sci-fi," she said. "It really is the most forward-thinking genre that one could imagine. ... It's so liberating. I've been with the [Syfy] network for 10 years so, 'Me likey!' "
And the session ended in style with an illegal bootleg of the third season of Sanctuary, signed by both Dunne and Tapping.
Here are some more highlights from the Comic-Con panel:
- "It should be called Asylum, not Sanctuary," Dunne says of the crazy antics he and the rest of the cast find themselves in on a daily basis.
- When asked about scientist Nikola Tesla, played by Jonathon Young, Dunne says, "He immediately fits into our warped, demented sense of humor." Tapping revealed that Tesla will be seen in about five episodes in the fourth season.
- "I would have picked the mermaid too, but for different reason," Dunne joked when asked what abnormals they would like to have.
- When asked when Helen Magnus would finally go on a date, Tapping answered dejectedly, "I know. ... Even if it's just a one-off ... There is an episode called 'Monsoon' in which [Helen will be with ]." "Girl or boy?," an audience member yelled. "Not saying!," Tapping answered coyly.
- "We do some period stuff in Season 4," Tapping teases.
- The "Tempest" episode will reveal Helen and John's relationship "in a very harsh light" and it very much takes place during the Jack Ripper killings. There will be two Helens in that episode, Tapping revealed.
Sanctuary returns in October.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR