Comic-Con 2012: 'Sons of Anarchy' Panel Announces Premiere Date, Talks Prequel
FX’s biker drama closed out the San Diego fanfest by showing an explosive clip teasing season 5.
Sons of Anarchy, FX’s gritty biker drama, was the closing act for Hall H at Comic-Con and treated the thousands of fans with the announcement of the premiere date, a clip from the upcoming season and plenty of witty banter.
The cast, featuring Charlie Hunnam, Ron Perlman, Katey Sagal, Maggie Siff, Mark Boone Junior, Tommy Flanagan, Theo Rossi, Ryan Hurst, Kim Coates and Dayton Callie, were present for the panel along with the show’s creator, the often-outspoken Kurt Sutter.
An explosive clip from season five – which FX announced will premiere Tuesday, Sept. 11 – showed plenty of shocking drama to come, including one sex scene that was too graphic to show to the crowd.
"That was my wife [Sagal's Gemma] getting f---ed from behind by Jimmy Smits," Sutter told the crowd. Smits is a new addition to the show, playing an ex-gangster.
The rest of the panel continued in that lively spirit.
"This is the season about Jax [Hunnam] at the head of that table and what kind of leader he will become," Sutter explained.
It seems that loyalties will be tested in the upcoming season now that Jax has taken over the California motorcycle club from his stepfather, Clay (Perlman).
Coates, who plays Tig, told the crowd that his character would have to decide if he would align with Clay or Jax. “He's totally a wild card now, and the way Kurt has set it up for Tig this year is really, really intense,” he said.
As for ousted leader Clay, Perlman pointed out that the man has nothing left to lose.
"Clay only knows one way, and that is to be on top. He takes a back seat to no one,” he said. “In season five, everything he has worked with his entire life has been taken from him. He's wife-less, president-less, he's lost the trust of his crew/family.”
Sutter spoke about his intentions to do a prequel to Sons of Anarchy, focusing on the founders of the motorcycle club (as The Holllywood Reporter previously reported). He told the crowd he had "discussions with the network about doing a prequel of the first nine, where we would see the formation of the club."
Sons of Anarchy’s fifth season premieres Tuesday, Sept. 11, at 10 p.m. ET/PT on FX.
Watch THR’s exclusive Comic-Con lounge interviews here.
Email: Rebecca.Ford@thr.com; Twitter: @Beccamford
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Audrey Evans and Alonza Bevan of Tumblewild Discuss Their Evocative New Album, When the World Had Four Corners
- Joe McGinniss Dead: 'Fatal Vision' Author Dies At 71
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera