'Cougar Town's' Bill Lawrence Adapting Justin Halpern's 'I Suck at Girls' for Fox
The former "$#*! My Dad Says" writer will reunite with the show's Patrick Schumacker to pen the half-hour single-camera comedy.
Four months after departing Cougar Town, Bill Lawrence is returning to network TV.
The Cougar Town co-creator, who departed the series after it was rescued from cancellation by TBS, on board to adapt Justin Halpern's book, I Suck at Girls.
The half-hour single-camera comedy has received a pilot production commitment from Fox, with Lawrence and his Doozer president Jeff Ingold on board to executive produce. Halpern will reteam with his $#*! My Dad Says cohort Patrick Schumacker to write and executive produce I Suck at Girls.
From Warner Bros. Television, I Suck at Girls is described as a story about a boy becoming a man, and a man becoming a father in a time before coming of age was something you could look up on Google.
The book was published in May and, like Halpern's book based on the popular Twitter feed, features advice from his outspoken father offering him advice on love and marriage.
Lawrence and fellow co-creator Kevin Biegel stepped down from day-to-day oversight of Cougar Town after the low-rated ABC series moved to TBS. His Doozer production banner inked a long-term deal with Warner Bros. TV in 2011, which allowed him to stay on with the show for another year before focusing all of his attention on development with the studio.
Last year, Lawrence and WBTV had a pilot in contention at Fox, the semi-autobiographical comedy Like Father, but it failed to move forward.
For Halpern, I Suck at Girls marks his second of two books to get the small-screen adaptation. CBS canceled the William Shatner starrer $#*! My Dad Says last year following an 18-episode first season.
Fox, meanwhile, has also teamed with Biegel for a single-camera sibling comedy.
Lawrence is repped by ICM Partners, Shapiro/West and Morris Yorn; Halpern is with ICM Partners and Infinity.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)