'Cougar Town': Christa Miller Laments Low Ratings for 'Best Job Ever'
"It's difficult, maybe even a little scary, to write about your dream job when you know it might go away at any second," the actress says in a new editorial about working with husband and showrunner Bill Lawrence.
Cougar Town has not had the easiest road since its much-delayed third season debuted on ABC.
In its new Tuesday timeslot, the comedy has hit ratings lows despite a positive reception from critics and a consistent fan presence. The uncertain future has prompted a candid dialogue among the cast and crew, with star Josh Hopkins even lining up a pilot, should Cougar Town fail to get a fourth season.
Now, Christa Miller, who plays Ellie and happens to be married to co-creator and showrunner Bill Lawrence, has penned something of love letter to what she calls the "best job ever."
"Cougar Town is back on television, and although we feel like the show is creatively better than ever, the ratings are 'meh,'" she writes in a Huffington Post editorial. "It's difficult, maybe even a little scary, to write about your dream job when you know it might go away at any second."
Miler spends the bulk of the piece focusing on the unique nature of working with Lawrence, who she met while she was on The Drew Carey Show, but she devotes equal amounts of affection for her husband and his series.
"It's an honor to work with Bill. I realize I am biased," she says. "If he asks you to try something and it's not funny, Bill takes responsibility and says it's his fault. If your idea is better, he is excited and proud of you. Bill used to love watching Neil Flynn improvise lines on Scrubs so much, it challenged me to become a better comedienne."
Though the appeal of securing syndication and modest ratings upswing two weeks ago have been promising signs for Cougar Town, it is currently the lowest-rated comedy on ABC. Lawrence, an active Twitter user, remains optimistic about the shows odds of renewal.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Audrey Evans and Alonza Bevan of Tumblewild Discuss Their Evocative New Album, When the World Had Four Corners
- Joe McGinniss Dead: 'Fatal Vision' Author Dies At 71
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera