CW Renews 'Supernatural,' 'Vampire Diaries' and '90210'
UPDATED: The three drama series have received early pickups.
The CW has begun its renewals for the 2012-13 season.
The youth-skewing network has picked up Supernatural, The Vampire Diaries and 90210. The trio of dramas join previously renewed reality series America's Next Top Model.
The Diaries pickup is not a surprise as it is The CW's highest-rated show. The renewal allows the vampire teen drama, from Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec and starring Nina Dobrev, Ian Somerhalder and Paul Wesley, to reach a fourth season.
Friday drama and fan favorite Supernatural, led by Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki, will return for season eight, while 90210 will be back for a fifth round. Supernatural has been a steady ratings performer for The CW in the 9 p.m. Friday time slot that includes sci-fi competition like Fox's Fringe and NBC's Grimm.
Still awaiting word on their futures are freshman dramas Hart of Dixie, Ringer and Williamson's second series, The Secret Circle, along with veterans Nikita and Gossip Girl.
A decision on the status of the remaining series is expected to be announced this month at the network's upfront presentation to Madison Avenue buyers in New York. The network is in the midst of screening its eight drama pilots, which include front-runners Arrow and The Carrie Diaries.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR