The CW's 'Reign' Edits Down Masturbation Scene
A longer version of the scene was in the original pilot.
An early cut of The CW's teen period drama Reign has been trimmed down for broadcast.
Reign tells the story of a young Mary, Queen of Scots (Adelaide Kane) as she rises to power following her arrival in France as a 15-year-old in 1557, betrothed to Prince Francis (Toby Regbo), with her three best friends as ladies-in-waiting.
A previous version of the pilot sent out to critics and reporters several months ago included a racy masturbation scene featuring one of Mary's ladies-in-waiting.
After witnessing a "bedding ceremony," a tradition the elders impart on newlyweds in order to make sure they consummate their marriage, one of Mary's friends pleasures herself in a secluded staircase in the castle.
The scene has been cut down in the new pilot version that will air later this week and was not the only part of the episode that was edited down. More scenes were also added, which did not affect the trajectory of the story.
Entertainment Weekly first reported on the edits.
The CW ordered three additional scripts for Reign on Friday. Reign premieres Oct. 17 at 9 p.m. on The CW.
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- 'Girls,' Tatiana Maslany and 18 More of the Biggest Emmy Snubs (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)