'Dallas' Star Josh Henderson: 'Our Main Goal Was to Make the Fans Happy' (Video)
The TNT reboot returns Wednesday, June 13, after 21 years off the air.
Dallas fans need wait no longer, as the iconic, dramatic and soapy series returns to the airwaves Wednesday. And while Larry Hagman, Patrick Duffy and Linda Gray are reprising their roles for the reboot, the focus is now shifting to the next generation.
Stepping into the scheming shoes of J.R. Ewing (Hagman), son John Ross Ewing (Josh Henderson) is just as ambitious and cunning as his father ever was.
“He is now in a very crucial part of his life. He's coming into manhood,” Henderson told The Hollywood Reporter of his character. “He wants to prove himself to his father, even though he doesn't have an amazing relationship with him. He really wants to prove himself as an oilman, as a successful, young, smart, cunning businessman. And he really prides himself on walking in J.R.'s footsteps and doing business like J.R. did.”
But it’s not all business for John Ross. When he’s not busy finding ways to drill for oil on the sacred Southfork rank, he finds a soft spot for girlfriend Elena Ramos (Jordana Brewster).
“He really does truly care for Elena, and he's in love,” explained Henderson. “I think it's tough for him to have a healthy relationship in the way he does business right now in his life.” Complicating matters is another love triangle, one involving John Ross, Elena and her former fiancé, John Ross’ cousin Christopher Ewing (Jesse Metcalfe).
The volatile love story should sound familiar to longtime fans of the series, as it was part of a conscious decision to draw in returning viewers.
“Original Dallas fans, please come back, because it's the same show 20 years later -- same drama,” said Henderson. “A lot of sex and backstabbing, things that make great television. Our main goal was to make the fans happy.”
For more of THR’s Dallas coverage, click here. The series returns to the small screen with a two-hour series premiere on TNT on Wednesday, June 13, at 9 p.m. ET/PT.
Email: Sophie.Schillaci@thr.com; Twitter: @SophieSchillaci
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack