David Berson Promoted to President of CBS Sports
The former ESPN executive will continue to lead cable spinoff CBS Sports Network.
David Berson has been promoted to president of CBS Sports. The announcement came Tuesday from CBS Sports chairman Sean McManus. The role of president has been unfilled since McManus was promoted to chairman in 2011.
A veteran of ESPN, Berson, 40, joined CBS Sports in 2011 to head CBS College Sports Network and lead that channel’s rebranding to CBS Sports Network. He’ll continue to report to McManus while assuming day-to-day oversight of CBS Sports and continuing to lead CBS Sports Network.
“David’s contributions and expertise in all areas of our business, including programming, production and business affairs, have managed to exceed our high expectations since he joined CBS Sports,” said McManus in a statement announcing the promotion. “This is a natural evolution for David to assume additional responsibilities at CBS Sports, working alongside me on the day-to-day management of both CBS Sports and CBS Sports Network.”
CBS Sports network is among a handful of cable spinoffs of broadcast sports assets including NBC Sports Network, which was rebranded from Versus in 2011, and the forthcoming Fox Sports 1, which launches Aug. 17. But at CBS and NBC marquee events including all NFL games, remain on the broadcast networks. NBC Sports Network has achieved some ratings success with the NHL, which was on the network prior to the rebrand. CBS does not share Nielsen ratings for CBS Sports Network.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws