5:11pm PT by Lesley Goldberg
David Lynch: 'Twin Peaks' Showtime Revival "Happening Again"
How's this for a way to start the weekend: Showtime's Twin Peaks revival is all systems go.
Following a squabble with Showtime, David Lynch announced Friday via Twitter that he has resolved his salary and budgetary standoff with the premium cable network.
Not only is the stalemate over, but Showtime has committed to producing more than the nine episodes originally ordered.
"This damn fine cup of coffee from Mark and David tastes more delicious than ever," Showtime president David Nevins said in a statement Friday confirming the news. "Totally worth the extra brewing time and the cup is even bigger than we expected. David will direct the whole thing which will total more than the originally announced nine hours. Preproduction starts now!!”
The news comes a month and a half after Lynch announced that he was exiting Showtime's nine-episode revival over a salary dispute. He originally signed on to direct the project but noted that there was "not enough money offered to do the script the way I felt needed to be done."
Showtime already had a deal in place with Lynch and co-creator Mark Frost to bring back the cult hit with star Kyle MacLachlan for a run in 2016, with sources telling THR that the scripts had already been written. For its part, Showtime at the time noted that it "continues to hold out hope" that Twin Peaks can be brought back with both its creators at the helm.
Following Lynch's outburst, the cast teamed for a video backing the beloved director that went viral as part of a #SaveTwinPeaks campaign that said doing the show without Lynch is "like pies without cherries" in a nod to the cult series.