Oops, 'MythBusters' Launches Cannonball Through Family's Home
The failed Discovery series stunt damaged a house and a minivan, though no one was injured.
Discovery Channel’s MythBusters series starring Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage had one of its scientific investigations backfire on them on Tuesday.
According to the Associated Press, the production accidentally shot a cannonball through a Dublin, Calif. family’s home before it landed on a nearby minivan. It was supposed to go through a few water-filled barrels and a concrete wall.
Sheriff’s spokesman and MythBusters consultant, J.D. Nelson, says that the series has used the cannon more than 50 times without incident.
Specifically, the cannonball went over its intended targets, bounced in front of the home about 700 feet away, through its front door, exited through a wall, and ended up across the street hitting the minivan’s window and dashboard.
Amazingly, the home’s residents slept trough the incident and the minivan’s owner claims he and his children had just exited the vehicle “five minutes before this happened.”
Discovery Channel and the production company behind the show, Beyond Productions, released the following statement to The Hollywood Reporter on Wednesday morning.
On Tuesday, December 6, 2011, MythBusters, produced for Discovery Channel by Beyond Productions, was filming on a closed set at the Alameda County Sheriff’s Department bomb range in Alameda County, California. During the testing, a cannonball took an unforeseen bounce from a safety berm. No injuries were reported, but damage was reported in one Dublin home and one parked car. Sgt. JD Nelson, Public Information Officer and bomb technician for the Alameda County Sheriff’s office, who is a regular safety explosives expert for MythBusters, was on site and all proper safety protocol was observed. Beyond Productions is currently assessing the situation and working with those whose property was affected.
Email: Jethro.Nededog@thr.com; Twitter: @TheRealJethro
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws