Discovery's New 'Shark Week' Ad: Offensive or Funny? (Video)
The commercial features a seal getting snatched by a Great White.
A new ad for Discovery Channel's Shark Week is generating buzz for its depiction of the untimely death of a seal who gets snatched by a Great White.
The spot features a fictional live newscast about Snuffy the seal, who had washed ashore with injuries, being lowered back into the sea as a crowd gathered to watch. In a startling twist, a massive shark leaps up and chomps poor Snuffy. The crowd screams and the clip cuts back to the anchor, who says "holy sh" -- but the ad ends before the S-word is spoken. A logo for Shark Week, which begins on Aug. 4, is shown with the tagline: "It's a bad week to be a seal. For the rest of us it's pretty awesome."
What do you think: disturbingly offensive or darkly funny?
Watch the footage and sound off in the comments.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR