Discovery's New 'Shark Week' Ad: Offensive or Funny? (Video)
The commercial features a seal getting snatched by a Great White.
A new ad for Discovery Channel's Shark Week is generating buzz for its depiction of the untimely death of a seal who gets snatched by a Great White.
The spot features a fictional live newscast about Snuffy the seal, who had washed ashore with injuries, being lowered back into the sea as a crowd gathered to watch. In a startling twist, a massive shark leaps up and chomps poor Snuffy. The crowd screams and the clip cuts back to the anchor, who says "holy sh" -- but the ad ends before the S-word is spoken. A logo for Shark Week, which begins on Aug. 4, is shown with the tagline: "It's a bad week to be a seal. For the rest of us it's pretty awesome."
What do you think: disturbingly offensive or darkly funny?
Watch the footage and sound off in the comments.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR