Disney Channel's 'Shake It Up' to End
Following the comedy series' final run, Zendaya will topline a new original TV movie.
Disney Channel's Shake It Up is ending its run after three seasons, The Hollywood Reporter confirms.
The live-action comedy series, which stars Zendaya and Bella Thorne, follows two best friends, CeCe Jones (Thorne) and Rocky Blue (Zendaya), who land their dream job as backup dancers on a television series.
Currently airing originals on Disney Channel, Shake It Up will end its run after 78 episodes with a specific end date not yet determined.
News of Shake It Up's wrap-up comes more than a month after another veteran comedy, Good Luck Charlie, announced it would end after its fourth season and 100 episodes.
Zendaya will stick with Disney Channel for her next project, toplining a new original TV movie based on the novel Boys Are Dogs. Production begins in August, with an airdate yet to be slated. Thorne recently inked a YA book deal with Random House and next appears in the Adam Sandler-Drew Barrymore romantic comedy Blended. Both Zendaya and Thorne are signed to Hollywood Records.
This comes as Disney Channel ramps up for its new comedy slate, which includes the anticipated Boy Meets World spinoff series Girl Meets World and twin series I Didn't Do It, set to launch next year.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR