Disney Channel's 'Sofia the First' TV Movie Pays Off in Ratings
The animated movie drives in 5.2 million viewers on Sunday evening.
Disney Channel found a ratings winner with animated TV movie Sofia the First: Once Upon a Princess.
Featuring voice performances by Ariel Winter, Sara Ramirez, Wayne Brady and Tim Gunn, Sofia the First -- centered on a little girl who becomes a princess -- drove an impressive 5.2 million viewers to its Sunday premiere telecast.
The telepic became the top cable telecast among kids 2-5 in the past five years averaging 1.5 million viewers. More than 1.4 million who tuned in belonged in the adults 18-49 demo, with more than 3 million belonging in kids 2-11 and nearly 1 million in girls 2-5.
A Sofia the First series, following "Sofia's journey of becoming the best she can be, with relatable situational stories set in a magical world of castles, wizards and flying horses," will launch some time in January.
Craig Gerber developed the movie and is co-executive producer/story editor, with Jamie Mitchell as executive producer/director. John Kavanaugh is songwriter/music director and Kevin Kliesch is the composer.
Disney Channel will air encores of Sofia the First this Tuesday through Sunday. Disney Junior will also air the movie Thursday morning.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)