Disney Channel's 'Sofia the First' TV Movie Pays Off in Ratings
The animated movie drives in 5.2 million viewers on Sunday evening.
Disney Channel found a ratings winner with animated TV movie Sofia the First: Once Upon a Princess.
Featuring voice performances by Ariel Winter, Sara Ramirez, Wayne Brady and Tim Gunn, Sofia the First -- centered on a little girl who becomes a princess -- drove an impressive 5.2 million viewers to its Sunday premiere telecast.
The telepic became the top cable telecast among kids 2-5 in the past five years averaging 1.5 million viewers. More than 1.4 million who tuned in belonged in the adults 18-49 demo, with more than 3 million belonging in kids 2-11 and nearly 1 million in girls 2-5.
A Sofia the First series, following "Sofia's journey of becoming the best she can be, with relatable situational stories set in a magical world of castles, wizards and flying horses," will launch some time in January.
Craig Gerber developed the movie and is co-executive producer/story editor, with Jamie Mitchell as executive producer/director. John Kavanaugh is songwriter/music director and Kevin Kliesch is the composer.
Disney Channel will air encores of Sofia the First this Tuesday through Sunday. Disney Junior will also air the movie Thursday morning.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR