'Doctor Who's' Karen Gillan to Star in ABC's Emily Kapnek Comedy 'Selfie'
She'll play Eliza Dooley in the modern take on "My Fair Lady."
Doctor Who alum Karen Gillan is returning to TV.
The actress, who next appears in Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy and Oculus, has been tapped to star in ABC's Emily Kapnek comedy Selfie, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.
The modern take on My Fair Lady is inspired by the musical and tells the story of a self-obsessed 20-something woman named Eliza Dooley (Gillan) who is more concerned with "likes" than being liked. After suffering a public and humiliating breakup, she becomes the subject of a viral video and suddenly has more social media "followers" than she ever imagined -- but for all the wrong reasons. She then enlists the help of a marketing expert at her company to help repair her tarnished image.
The casting marks the Scotland native's return to TV following Doctor Who -- where she played the Doctor's companion, Amy Pond, for more than 30 episodes on the show's fifth through seventh seasons -- and Adult Swim's NTSF: SD: SUV. She's repped by UTA and Troika Talent Agency.
Suburgatory's Kapnek will pen the script for the single-camera comedy and executive produce the Warner Bros. Television entry via her Piece of Pie Productions banner. Julie Anne Robinson will direct the pilot.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR