'Downton Abbey' Enjoys Ratings Upswing, Unlikely Runner-Up Status
The PBS series continues to post gains in its Sunday slot, adding 50 percent with Live+7 viewings, and even places a very distant second place the 2012 Super Bowl.
Downton Abbey is probably closer to a critical mass than anything that's ever come out of PBS' Masterpiece Classics franchise.
The British import, nearing the end of its stateside run's second season, has been performing well above its freshman average of 3.6 million. And this past Sunday, it was the second most-watched broadcast during its time period -- after the record-breaking Super Bowl.
Down just a shade from its season average (roughly 4.34 million) on the biggest TV night of the year, Downton Abbey finished second place to the big game with 4.0 million between 9:00 and 10:00 p.m. It topped repeats the whole of cable and the broadcast networks.
It's a number that's likely to gain significantly with DVR viewings. Live + 7 day ratings for Downton Abbey -- including DVR and online viewings and encores -- pushed its Jan. 8 season premiere up 50 percent, from 4.2 to 6.3 million viewers.
Downton Abbey hit its season high in its fourth week, bringing in 4.8 million viewers on Jan. 29 episode. It will continue on PBS through Feb. 19.
A third season is scheduled to start production in the U.K. this month.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, Plus A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10