'Downton Abbey' Sneak Peak: Shirley MacLaine Takes on Maggie Smith (Video)
The Oscar winner plays Martha Levinson, the American mother of Elizabeth McGovern's Lady Grantham.
Finally, the moment Downton Abbey superfans have been waiting for: the first withering encounter between Maggie Smith and Shirley MacLaine, who makes her debut in season three of the PBS hit series.
A clip of MacLaine's debut as the Martha Levinson, the American mother of Lady Grantham (Elizabeth McGovern), was shown during the American Film Institute's televised tribute to the actress, broadcast Sunday on TV Land.
The scene shows Martha visiting Downton Abbey, where she encounters Smith's quippy Countess of Grantham.
"Oh dear, I'm afraid the war has made old women of us both," she says, to which the Countess responds: "Oh, I wouldn't say that. But I always keep out of the sun."
The Oscar winner's addition to Downton makes her the second American cast member (and character) on the British period drama. The third season is slated to roll out in early 2013.
Watch the video below.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack