Fall TV Preview: Red Widow
Updated: Premiering on ABC Sunday night, “Twilight” screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg's new series tells the story of a woman from a crime family who finds herself taking on gangsters and the FBI after her husband is murdered.
Red Widow is a taut drama that goes inside the world of a crime family and shows how far one woman will go to protect her family. Based on the Dutch thriller Penoza, Marta Walraven's (Radha Mitchell, Melinda and Melinda) world is turned upside-down when her gangster husband is murdered by a rival cartel, and she’s driven to unveil the truth about her husband’s death.
1. Marta makes the transition from suburban housewife and mom living the good life in Northern California to gun-toting vigilante with surprising ease. Perhaps there was some family training in the art of gun-slinging.
2. We love a good mob family drama (The Godfather is one of our all-time faves) and this show drew us in with its beautiful façade off the Walravens’ gorgeous Sausalito home and seemingly peaceful suburban setting. Then we found out Marta’s father, brother, and husband Franklin (Anson Mount) all make their living in organized crime and the tension is immediately ratcheted up several notches.
3. There’s nothing like a woman being tested to bring out the tough broad in her. We were reminded of Gena Rowlands in the film Gloria when Marta set out to find out the truth behind husband Franklin’s murder. We had to admire her determination to do whatever is necessary to keep her family alive, even if it means filling her husband's shoes and joining the family business. Here’s hoping Marta Walraven is the next female mob boss.
4. Clifton Collins Jr. joined the cast as a series regular, playing FBI agent James Ramos. He was originally approached to play the role in the pilot but wasn’t available.
5. Mark Pellington (Arlington Road) directed the pilot. Producers are Alon Aranya, Howard Klein (executive producer of The Office and Parks & Recreation) and Endemol Studios (Hell on Wheels).
Take a look at the trailer below and hit the comments to let us know if you’ll tune in. Red Widow will premiere on ABC Sunday, March 3, at 9 pm EST/8 pm CST.