Fired Local Anchor Does Morning-Show, Late-Night Tour
A.J. Clemente, let go after cursing on air during his first day, chatted on "Today" and "Morning Joe" and is set to appear on the "Late Show."
He might have only lasted one day as a local news anchor, but A.J. Clemente is now getting plenty of television exposure after his on-air, expletive-laden mistake went viral.
After appearing on Live With Kelly and Michael, Morning Joe and Today, Clemente is set to appear on Late Show With David Letterman on Wednesday. Letterman already has joked about Clemente with a segment on Tuesday titled, "Top Ten Signs Your First Day as a News Anchor Didn't Go Well."
Clemente was fired after his debut show on North Dakota's NBC affiliate KFYR after unleashing a string of swear words on a hot mic. The clip of the rookie anchor stumbling over his words quickly went viral.
"Rookie mistake. I'm a free agent. Cant help but laugh at myself and stay positive. Wish i didnt trip over my 'Freaking Shoes' out of the gate," Clemente wrote Monday on Twitter.
On Today, Clemente explained that when he first saw the clip of himself, it was "gut-wrenching. I didn't even know I said it on camera until my news director walked in on the third break." He elaborated that he was rehearsing the names of London marathon runners for a segment and grew frustrated at himself for mispronouncing the names.
"It's inexcusable, first, to even say those words," he added, noting that he has no animosity about being fired.
Appearing on Morning Joe, he had Tom Brokaw to console him with a story of his own gaffe as a rookie anchor, though Brokaw added the caveat to his own mistake: "It wasn't as explicit as yours was by any means."
Watch Clemente's infamous moment below:
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Experience The Controlled Chaos Behind Cuba Gooding Jr.'s 1997 Oscars Acceptance Speech
- John Gallagher Jr. On The Upcoming Final Season Of 'The Newsroom'
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Gedeon Luke Keeps the Soul Train Moving ; Viv and the Revival Breaks Your Heart
- Comcast To Charge Insane Amount For A Single Season Of 'House Of Cards'