ABC Family's 'Fosters' Recruits 'Private Practice' Alum (Exclusive)
Justina Machado will appear in multiple episodes of the new summer drama from Jennifer Lopez.
A Private Practice alum is heading to a new ABC Family series.
Justina Machado, who recurred as Sam's jilted lover Stephanie on the medical show's final season, has joined the one-hour drama The Fosters, The Hollywood Reporter has learned exclusively.
Machado will recur on the Jennifer Lopez-produced series as Sofia Rivera, the outspoken and extremely protective mother of Mariana Foster's (Cierra Ramirez) best friend, Lexi Rivera (Bianca Santos). She will appear in at least two episodes beginning in July.
Co-created by Bradley Bredeweg and Peter Paige, The Fosters centers on two moms (Teri Polo and Sherri Saum) as they raise a multi-ethnic family with foster and biological kids. Jake T. Austin, Hayden Byerly, David Lambert, Maia Mitchell and Danny Nucci co-star.
Machado is repped by APA and D2 Management. Her credits include Switched at Birth, Desperate Housewives, ER and Six Feet Under, and she recently appeared on the big screen in The Call.
The Fosters debuts at 9 p.m. June 3 on ABC Family.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR