Fox Buys Male 'Laverne and Shirley' Comedy From Andrea Abbate
The "Accidentally on Purpose" executive producer has landed a put-pilot commitment from the network for "Paroled."
Fox is looking for the next Laverne and Shirley.
In a pre-emptive buy, Fox has handed out a put-pilot order with significant penalty to Paroled, a semi-autobiographical comedy from Accidentally on Purpose's Andrea Abbate, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.
Paroled is described as a male Laverne and Shirley on parole and is based on members of Abbate's family getting out of prison -- again.
The project hails from 21 Laps/Adelstein and 20th Century Fox Television, where the banner is under an overall deal. Abbate will write and executive produce alongside Marty Adelstein and Becky Clements.
This marks Abbate's second attempt at a comedy based on her family. Last year, she had The Crazy Gene (aka Keep Calm and Karey On) set up at ABC, again with 20th TV and 21 Laps/Adelstein. The comedy starred Kelly Preston as a clean-nosed black sheep in a family of petty thieves, drug addicts and narcissists who, after her brother is sent to prison, decides to raise his kids along with her adopted African-American son and give them the normal lives they deserve. ABC, which picked up the comedy with a put-pilot commitment last August, passed on the project in May.
For 21 Laps, this marks the latest in a busy development season. In addition to Paroled, the banner also has a Catch Me If You Can-type drama from G.I. Joe writers David Elliot and Paul Lovett set up at Fox and a Cristela Alonzo Latina comedy set up at ABC with a sizable penalty attached.
Abbate is repped by WME and Morris Yorn; Adelstein is with WME and Ziffren Brittenham.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)