Fox News Falls for Fake Story About Obama Funding Muslim Museum (Video)
The network passed off a satirical report as fact.
During a report Saturday about the World War II memorial being closed due to the government shutdown, Fox News erroneously claimed that President Obama "has offered to pay out of his own pocket for The Museum of Muslim Culture."
This information, delivered by Fox & Friends weekend co-host Anna Kooiman, came from the satirical website National Report.
The website featured a fake story stating that amid the government shutdown that has caused various museums, memorials and national parks to close, the president would use his own money to open the federally funded International Museum of Muslim Cultures.
According to snopes.com, National Report used to include a disclaimer that read, "National Report is a news and political satire web publication, which may or may not use real names, often in semi-real or mostly fictitious ways. All news articles contained within National Report are fiction, and presumably fake news."
National Report currently features other fake stories about New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg banning buffets and Jesus Christ boycotting Hobby Lobby.
Kooiman later issued an apology via Twitter for passing off the false information as fact.
Just met w producers- I made a mistake yday after receiving flawed research abt a museum possibly closing. My apologies. Won't happen again.
— Anna Kooiman (@annakooiman) October 6, 2013
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws