Fox Renews 'Touch,' Cancels 'Alcatraz' and 'The Finder'
UPDATED: Ahead of its upfront presentation, the network has picked up another season of the Kiefer Sutherland drama from Tim Kring, while ending two freshman dramas.
Fox has kicked off its renewals, giving a second season to Touch and canceling freshman dramas Alcatraz and Bones spinoff The Finder after one season.
From Heroes creator Tim Kring and marking 24 star Kiefer Sutherland's return to series television, the drama Touch previewed in January after American Idol, drawing a 3.9 in the demo and 12 million viewers.
Returning two months later in its regular slot on Thursdays at 9 p.m. after the Idol results show, the drama about a father whose mute son can see events in the past, present and future using a series of numbers held on to much of its viewership but has tumbled in the weeks since. The 20th Television-produced drama, which launched globally day and date, maintains strong property for the network and studio internationally.
Despite a pedigree including J.J. Abrams, freshman drama Alcatraz -- about San Francisco's infamous prison and its mysterious former inmates -- will not move forward. The Monday series, despite an impressive launch in January (3.3 in the demo and 10 million total viewers), the serial drama starring Sarah Jones and Lost's Jorge Garcia tumbled considerably during its 10-week run, ending with a fraction of its initial viewership: 1.5 in the demo and 4.7 million viewers. For its part, Fox will remain in business with Abrams, having recently greenlit Fringe for a fifth and final season of 13 episodes.
The Finder, from Hart Hanson and starring Geoff Stults, failed to pull viewers of the Fox flagship to it on Thursdays at 9 p.m. against heavy competition in the hour from established hits Grey's Anatomy and The Office and fellow freshman entry Person of Interest. After averaging about 6 million viewers in the slot, the drama was moved to Fridays at 8, with a recent installment notching a series low.
Fox has previously renewed American Dad, Bones, The Cleveland Show, Fringe, Glee, Kitchen Nightmares, New Girl, Raising Hope and The Simpsons.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game