Fred Rogers' Legacy Lives on With a 'Mister Rogers' Neighborhood' Animated Spin Off From PBS
The organization announces "Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood" Sunday at the TCA Press Tour.
Fred Rogers’ mission to revolutionize children’s television and education with the long-running show he created and hosted, Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood, will live on with a new animated spin off, Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood, from PBS.
The TV program provider announced Sunday at the Television Critics Association (TCA) Press Tour that the new multiplatform animated series will take place in the original “Neighborhood of Make Believe” featuring a four-year-old host named Daniel Tiger. In the new series, all the residents of the neighborhood have grown up and now have their own preschool-aged children.
“We’re very excited to be creating a program that builds on Fred’s legacy in such fresh and innovative ways,” Bill Isler, President of The Fred Rogers Company, which developed the series, says. “Fred knew that school readiness skills are the foundation for academic achievement, and a full life, and now a growing body of research confirms this.”
The series begins airing in Fall 2012 on PBS Kids, along with a website that will include free interactive games for kids, online resources for parents and teachers, and other cross-platform content.
It is executive produced by Kevin Morrison for The Fred Rogers Company and cofounder of Out of the Blue Enterprises, Angela Santomero (Super Why!). Additionally, 9 Story Entertainment will produce the animation and Schell Games will develop the series’ digital educational applications.
Rogers passed away in 2003 at the age of 74 from stomach cancer. Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood was one of the longest running series on PBS, which continuously ran reruns of the series through Aug. 2008.
Email: Jethro.Nededog@thr.com; Twitter: @TheRealJethro
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'