'Friday Night Lights' Jesse Plemons on Possible Film Continuation and Fan Backlash (Video)
“I can understand those thoughts,” the actor, who will next appear on AMC’s “Breaking Bad,” tells THR.
Many fans of the football drama Friday Night Lights were tearfully satisfied with a touching and emotional sendoff to Coach Taylor and the rest of the Dillon Panthers. So much so, in fact, that many were outraged when director Peter Berg announced that he was working on a possible film continuation of the story.
“I don’t know if I’m going to get in trouble for saying this, but I can understand those thoughts,” actor Jesse Plemons told The Hollywood Reporter at the L.A. premiere of his film Battleship, also directed by Berg. “Because when you do a show like that, and it’s my only experience doing a series and I was really fortunate that it was that one, but we all became so attached to those characters and the sendoff meant so much.
“It’s not that I don't have confidence in the possible stories that they could tell,” he added. “It’s just, I can’t imagine what they’d be. I’d definitely be interested in seeing what they could come up with.”
Plemons, who played the lovable Landry Clark in the long-running series, recently announced that he will be returning to the small screen for the final season of AMC’s Breaking Bad. He previously starred in the ill-fated NBC comedy Bent, and can currently be seen on the big screen in Berg’s Battleship opposite his FNL co-star Taylor Kitsch.
According to Plemons, there is at least one thing a future FNL film could have in its favor.
“Any time you can get Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton together again, at the very least it’s going to be really awesome,” he said. “No matter what the story is.”
In other FNL news: President Obama himself revealed his love for the series on Monday, tweeting a photo of himself throwing a football with the caption "Clear eyes, full hearts" in reference to the team's mantra -- Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.
For more from Plemons’ interview with THR, watch the video above.
Email: Sophie.Schillaci@thr.com; Twitter: @SophieSchillaci
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR