'Game of Thrones': Gemma Whelan Joins Growing Cast
The actress will play the role of Yara Greyjoy, who is known in the books as Asha.
Gemma Whelan is heading to Belfast.
The actress will play the daughter of Balon Greyjoy and his wife, Alannys, described as being fierce and proud and whom defies traditional gender roles by commanding her own ship, the Black Wind.
The character in the George R.R. Martin novel A Song of Ice and Fire was named Asha, but is being changed so as to avoid confusion with another character in the series named Osha.
Whelan’s credits include Gulliver’s Travels and The Wolfman.
Game of Thrones, which began production in Belfast on its second season in July, has continued to bulk up its cast, recently adding Stephen Dillane as Stannis Baratheon, the older brother of the late King Robert (Mark Addy); and Carice van Houten as Melisandre, an intimidating woman who councils Stannis in his quest to claim the throne.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'