George Zimmerman's Wife Tells ABC He Felt 'Invincible' After Trayvon Martin Verdict (Video)
In an exclusive interview, Shellie Zimmerman says she's filed for divorce from a verbally abusive man whom she didn't really know.
George Zimmerman's wife tells ABC News in an exclusive interview that her husband felt "invincible" and was "making some reckless decisions" after a Florida jury acquitted him of murder in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin.
Shellie Zimmerman recently filed for divorce after standing by her husband through a nearly 18-month ordeal, from when he shot Martin in February 2012 to when he was acquitted in July.
"I stood by my husband through everything and I kind of feel like he left me with a bunch of pieces of broken glass that I'm supposed to now assemble and make a life … It's just heartbreaking," she tells ABC News.
In court filings, Shellie Zimmerman claimed their marriage is "irretrievably broken." She tells ABC News that George Zimmerman has a temper and was verbally abusive, and that although they went to counseling, it wasn't working.
"I have a selfish husband. And I think George is all about George," she said. "I think I'm realizing that I have been married to a person for almost seven years, and I don't think that I ever really knew him at all."
He only spent three or four nights at their home before she moved out in mid-August, she says. Now, she's filed for divorce, asking for "equitable distribution" of their assets, including anything he might gain from the defamation suit he filed against NBC.
George Zimmerman's legal team told ABC News there would be no comment on the divorce filing.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)