April 12, 2014 10:00pm PT by Lesley Goldberg
GLAAD Names ABC Family's 'The Fosters' Best Drama
ABC Family's lesbian family drama The Fosters was named the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation's outstanding comedy series Saturday during the watchdog group's annual Media Awards.
During Saturday's 25th annual GLAAD Media Awards, which fund the organization's efforts to bring stories of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered people and issues to Americans, the group also handed out honorary awards to Norman Lear, Jennifer Lopez and Orange Is the New Black star Laverne Cox.
The Fosters topped previous winner Grey's Anatomy, BBC America's Orphan Black, ABC Family's Pretty Little Liars and Showtime's Shameless in the category. Other winners Saturday included NBC's Days of Our Lives, which was named outstanding daily drama; Virgil Films/OWN's Bridegroom and Cinedigm's Call Me Kuchu, which tied in the outstanding documentary category; and openly gay musical duo Tegan and Sara, who were named outstanding music artist for Warner Bros. Records' Heartthrob, among others.
All told, it was a big night for Lopez, who in addition to the previously announced Vanguard Award -- presented to individuals who have increased the visibility and understanding of the LGBT community -- also serves as an executive producer on The Fosters.
GLAAD spokesman Wilson Cruz presented veteran producer Lear with the Pioneer Award, given annually to a group or individual who has made a significant contribution to the development of LGBT-inclusive media images. Meanwhile, Ellen Page presented Cox with the Stephen F. Kolzak Award. The prize is named after an L.A. casting director who devoted the last part of his life to fighting AIDS-phobia and homophobia in the entertainment industry. The award is given to an openly LGBT member of the entertainment or media community for his or her work toward eliminating homophobia.
The ceremony, held at the Beverly Hilton in Los Angeles, was the first of two annual showcases in which GLAAD announces the winners of its annual awards. The second slate of winners -- including outstanding comedy series -- will be announced May 3 in New York.
A complete list of Saturday's winners follows:
- Pioneer Award: Norman Lear (presented by Wilson Cruz)
- Vanguard Award: Jennifer Lopez (presented by Rita Moreno)
- Stephen F. Kolzak Award: Laverne Cox, star of Orange is the New Black (presented by Ellen Page)
- International Advocate for Change Award: Manny de Guerre, founder of the Side by Side LGBT Film Festival in St. Petersburg, Russia (presented by Maria Menounos)
· Outstanding Documentary: TIE: Bridegroom (Virgil Films/OWN) [accepted by: Shane Bitney Crone and Linda Bloodworth-Thomason] and Call Me Kuchu (Cinedigm) [accepted by: co-directors Katherine Fairfax Wright, Malika Zouhali-Worrall, and Ugandan activist John "Long Jones" Abdallah Wambere]
· Outstanding Drama Series: The Fosters (ABC Family) [accepted by: co-creators Peter Paige and Bradley Bredeweg with stars Sheri Saum and Teri Polo]
· Outstanding Daily Drama: Days of Our Lives (NBC)
· Outstanding Newspaper Article: LGBTQ in the Capital (series) by Melissa Griffiths (Juneau Empire [Juneau, Alaska])
· Outstanding Digital Journalism -- Multimedia: We Are Here: LGBTI in Uganda by Sunnivie Brydum, D. David Robinson (Advocate.com)
· Outstanding Music Artist: Tegan and Sara, Heartthrob (Warner Bros. Records)
· Outstanding Comic Book: Young Avengers, written by Kieron Gillen (Marvel Comics)
· Outstanding Talk-Show Interview: TIE: "Debate por la igualdad" Al Punto (Univision) and "Decision Historica" Sin Limites con Elizabeth Espinosa (CNN en Espanol)
· Outstanding Local TV Journalism: "Natalia: rompiendo barreras" Noticiero Telemundo Arizona (KTAZ-39 [Phoenix, Ariz.])
· Outstanding TV Journalism Segment: "Decision Historica" Noticiero Telemundo (Telemundo)
· Outstanding Digital Journalism -- Multimedia: "Eric y Juan, un matrimonio feliz a pesar de todo" by Fernando Mexia (EFE.com)
TV Pilots 2015: The Complete Guide to What Lives, Dies and Still Has a Pulse
TV Shows That Failed to Survive the 2014-15 Season
Broadcast TV Scorecard: Complete Guide to What's New, Renewed and Canceled
Broadcast TV Finale Dates 2015: The Complete Guide
Broadcast TV's Returning Shows 2015-16
TV Premiere Dates 2015: The Complete Guide