'Glee' Books 'Idol' Alum Adam Lambert for Season 5
The singer follows Jessica Sanchez and becomes the latest "Idol" alum to join the Fox musical.
Glee is kicking its upcoming fifth season up a notch.
Showrunner and co-creator Ryan Murphy announced Wednesday that American Idol alum Adam Lambert is joining the cast of Glee.
"I am thrilled to announce that the super talented Adam Lambert is joining the cast of Glee this fall," he announced.
Details of who Lambert will be playing remain unclear. Representatives for studio 20th Century Fox Television and Fox did not immediately have details on whether the role is a series regular, recurring or guest spot.
Lambert becomes the latest American Idol alum to join the Fox musical. Last season, Idol champ Jessica Sanchez had a multiple-episode role on the Ohio-set side of the series, playing a diva singer at a rival glee club.
For the season eight Idol runner-up, the Glee gig marks a dream come true. The singer told The Hollywood Reporter in January 2012 that he feels the scripted singing series is "so cute" and "really paints a picture of what it's like to be an arts kid in high school."
"Glee is really irresistible -- it's charming," he said at the time, noting he'd love to be able to play himself on the series. (Lambert most recently played himself and performed on ABC Family's Pretty Little Liars.)
Lambert's casting marks a welcome injection of star power to Glee. The series will see some of its original cast members -- fan favorites Heather Morris, Mark Salling, Amber Riley and Harry Shum Jr. -- take on a reduced role next season. To compensate, the show bumped up to series regulars new additions Melissa Benoist, Jacob Artist, Becca Tobin, Blake Jenner and Alex Newell to series regulars.
Glee has a history of booking big-name guest stars. Sarah Jessica Parker and Kate Hudson both had recurring roles during Glee's fourth season as the series split its focus between its Ohio-set high school and New York, where stars Lea Michele and Chris Colfer are prominently featured.
Glee returns with its fifth season Thursday, Sept. 19 at 9 p.m. on Fox.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Zac Efron, Dave Franco, and Christopher Mintz-Plasse Share Crazy Stories From "Neighbors" Set at SXSW 2014
- Jennifer Aniston Would Trade Bodies With Gisele Bundchen, Is Just Like Us
- What We Want To See In 'Looking' Season 2
- I Ain't Gonna Work on Maggie's Farm No More: 'True Detective' and the Deep Dark Secret of the American Psyche