'Glee': Romance for Finn, a Valentine's Wedding, Sam and Brittany Backlash and More Teasers
Executive producer Dante Di Loreto says the cast is open to touring again and previews an upcoming milestone.
Finn will continue to lead New Directions, but it's a romance that will help play a role in his future, Glee executive producer Dante Di Loreto told reporters Wednesday during a visit to the Fox musical's Hollywood set.
During a Q&A with critics to help close out the Television Critics Association's winter press tour, the cast and EP confirmed the Valentine's Day wedding, defended new couple Brittany and Sam and teased that the Class of 2013 could follow in the footsteps of some of their former classmates. Here are 11 teasers from the cast:
1. Setting examples: Darren Criss still wants Blaine and Kurt to wind up together, despite the recent addition of Kurt's new love interest, Oliver, in the Jan. 24 return episode. "The fact that they've been working hard to stay in each other's lives is a good thing to show, but of course I want to see them together in the end!" he told reporters Wednesday during the set visit. Criss added that showing the former duo's friendship and acknowledging that they're still in each other's lives is "a good example to set."
2. Wedding bells: Exec producer Di Loreto confirmed Wednesday what THR reported in October: The Valentine's Day episode will feature a wedding. "It's fair to say that there is romance in the air. There is a wedding in the air, and what is exciting about the show is there's certain things about the show that are undeniable. … There are also some things that are going to shock the heck out of you. That's a the really fun part and that's what's coming down the pike."
3. Class of 2013: Brittany, Tina, Artie and Blaine are among the seniors who will be marching toward graduation this season, with Di Loreto expressing confidence in the Fox musical's ability to capture its characters' evolution. He teased that New York could be in the cards for some of the Class of 2013. "I wouldn't be surprised if you find a few other castmembers in New York," he told reporters. "That story is yet to reveal itself, but it seems like one of those natural conclusions. They're all going in different places, just like we all do in high school, and hopefully those are stories that we can blossom."
4. Finn's future: Finn discovered his passion and gift for teaching (despite New Directions' recent loss), but Di Loreto said it was important to show the journey of someone besides McKinley's students. "Revealing what the challenge is of being a teacher was really important to [Finn's] storyline," he said. "Romance is going to play a part in his future, too, and where that takes us has yet to be determined." Criss, meanwhile, said as of the Valentine's Day episode, Finn is "still going strong" at the helm of New Directions. "It's cool seeing him thrive and inspire," he told THR
5. Milestones and touring, oh my! After taking a year off, Di Loreto said the cast is open to touring again. "We had an amazing time during the last tour, and we'd all love the opportunity to do it again; it's really about finding time to fit it into our lives," he said. "There's a milestone coming up that you're all going to hear about very soon." Color us interested.
6. Minefield! Asked about Santana and Brittany's relationship, Heather Morris called the subject a "minefield." "It's like we were just best friends," she said of the former couple's romantic relationship. "I don't think they were great for each other even though they're best friends. Sam gives her more room to just be herself, and that's a lot of fun." Morris also said Sam allows the ditzy Cheerio more room to really be "weird." As for hope for the former lesbian couple, Morris told THR: "They're friends, but they won't get back together, I don't think." Sad face.
7. Life after McKinley: Morris has hilarious plans for Brittany following her graduation -- that is if the second-year senior graduates. "I want my character to go to jail," she said to laughter. "There should be an episode where she raises her hand to go to the bathroom and never shows back up. Then you show her later and she's in jail." Hope her cellmate is equally amusing!
8. Backlash: Chord Overstreet says he understands the backlash to Sam's romantic pairing with Brittany. "People care about a lot of things because it speaks to them, and I feel like that kind of relationship a lot of people are invested in, so they hate to see it go away," he told THR of Brittany and Santana's split. "But I also think there has to be a little separation to have that kind of tension to, 'Are they going to get back together, or are they not?' It adds the drama you need. I don't know who's going to end up together, but I think Sam and Brittany is funny because it gives a bit of comic relief. At the same time, the story she has with Santana is super sweet. I don't think the fans should be as upset -- they should be more excited for what's to come for both scenarios."
9. "Tough" times: As for how Santana will take the news that her bisexual ex-girlfriend has not only moved on with a guy but with someone she knows: "The first person you really love sticks with you the most, so I think it's going to be tough for her," he told THR.
10. Back in business: New Directions lost its choir room in the winter finale, but Criss teased that their eviction won't last long. "There was some foul play going on with the Warblers, so that might have something to do with how they come back," he said, adding there's a great potential for growth in defeat. "I like the idea of these guys when they lose: Who are they, and what does a glee club do when they can't perform? What's really the story -- the glee club or the people in the glee club? It's cool to focus on what that's going to do for them, but they will continue to perform."
11. As for Blaine's new connection with Tina (Jenna Ushkowitz) Criss said their friendship "takes an interesting turn." "Blaine and Tina take a new step in their relationship -- for better or worse."
Glee returns Jan. 24 on Fox. Hit the comments with what you're looking forward to seeing. In the meantime, check out a new promo for the "Sadie Hawkins" episode, below.