'Glee' Star Cory Monteith Checks Into Rehab for Substance Addiction
UPDATED: "Glee" co-creators Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk respond to the actor as production on the Fox series is expected to continue as scheduled.
Glee star Cory Monteith has entered rehab.
The actor "has voluntarily admitted himself to a treatment facility for substance addiction," his rep tells The Hollywood Reporter. "He graciously asks for your respect and privacy as he takes the necessary steps towards recovery."
Gleeis in the midst of shooting its fourth season. Production on the remaining two episodes is expected to continue as scheduled.
"Cory is a beloved member of the Glee family and we fully support his decision to seek treatment," 20th Century Fox TV, which produces the show, told THR in a statement. "Everyone at the show wishes him well and looks forward to his return."
During Glee's current season, Monteith's Finn Hudson has been struggling to find his way after high school. Most recently, the character stepped in to oversee the glee club while Matthew Morrison's Will Schuester went off to Washington. Upon his return, Finn realizes that he has what it takes to teach and will likely pursue that dream. His character was last seen in New York, where he showed up to fight for his "future wife" Rachel (Lea Michele).
Monteith and Michele have been a real-life couple for some time. They first publicly acknowledged their relationship a year ago.
"I love and support Cory and will stand by him through this," she tells THR. "I am grateful and proud he made this decision."
People first reported the news Sunday night.
It's not the first time Monteith, 30, has undergone a treatment program for substance abuse: He previously checked into rehab when was 19.
Monteith has played Finn on Glee since it debuted in 2009. He also has a role in the upcoming indie All the Wrong Reasons.
On Monday, Glee co-creators Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk took to their respective Twitter accounts to voice support for Monteith.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)