'Glee' Star Darren Criss Responds to 'X Factor' Hosting Rumors
The actor calls reports he turned down Simon Cowell's offer to host the show a "delightfully misunderstood misunderstanding."
When rumors circulated earlier this year that Darren Criss had declined an offer to host The X Factor, the Glee star sat back and soaked up the media attention.
"Oh, it made me look awesome! I had nothing to do with it, and it made me look so cool. It was, like, free press," he told THR at the Metropolitan Museum's Costume Institute Ball on Monday night. He added: "I'm happy to say that that was not actually true."
The report in question, via E! Online, cited a source as saying that the popular Glee actor said no to Simon Cowell because he was too busy and more interested in being a performer than a host.
"It was a classic example of people running with something that they didn't bother to check facts with," said Criss. "But I didn't want to get in the way. I thought it was so cool."
Steve Jones was recently sacked as the Fox reality contest's emcee, along with judges Paula Abdul and Nicole Scherzinger.Cowell then powwowed with producers in an effort to revamp the show amid heavy competition from rivals such as The Voice. According to THR sources, ex-Disney child actress and singer Demi Lovato was nearing a deal to sit alongside Britney Spears on the judges' panel for season two.
That host spot? Still up for grabs.
"I mean, I don't have time. But I'm thrilled ... flattered that my name was even in that world," Criss said, calling the speculation a "delightfully misunderstood misunderstanding."
At Monday's Met Ball, Criss -- who recently starred in Broadway's How to Succeed in Businss Without Really Trying -- joined Glee-mates Dianna Agron, Lea Michele and Cory Monteith for the triple-VIP, Anna Wintour-hosted event. Among the other boldfaced names: Beyonce, Scarlett Johansson, Kanye West, Gwyneth Paltrow and all three Jonas Brothers.
“I can’t believe that I’m here!" said Criss, a guest of Teen Vogue. "I killed a lot of people to be here. I have a lot of blood on my hands.”
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws