Robin Roberts Back Home After Battling Virus
The "GMA" co-anchor, who recently had a bone marrow transplant, updates viewers after spending a week in the hospital.
Nearly two months after her bone marrow transplant, Good Morning America co-anchor Robin Roberts was sidelined by a virus that sent her back to the hospital for about a week.
In an update on ABC News' Yahoo blog entitled "Home Sweet Home Part II," Roberts said she returned home from her hospital stay on Friday -- and that it had taken an "emotional toll" on her.
"A latent virus, many of us have, was not responding to medication... and was pulling down my numbers. Our immune systems usually take care of a virus like this...but mine is only 59 days old," she wrote. "Physically I felt fine but being back in the hospital took an emotional toll on me. The wonderful doctors, nurses and support staff lifted my spirits..it was comforting seeing them again."
Roberts received a bone marrow transplant from her sister Sally-Ann in September to help in her fight against cancer; she left the hospital after a month to recover from her New York City home. The broadcaster's return to GMA has been delayed until her immune system regains strength, ensuring she's well enough to return to the anchors' desk.
"The virus is under control and my numbers are going back up," she said of her latest hospital stint. "My sister, Sally-Ann, flew to NYC to be with me. Before I was discharged on Friday she interviewed me. Her station in New Orleans, WWL-TV, has done an incredible job bringing attention to the need for donors like my big sis. GMA will show a portion of the interview Tuesday morning."
In a recent interview with The Hollywood Reporter, ABC News president Ben Sherwood addressed accusations that GMA was exploiting Roberts' illness and treatment.
"We are doing exactly what Robin has wanted every step of the way. Every frame of video you see, every mention is our attempt to fulfill Robin's wishes. Chronicling her journey is a very important part, in her view, of her healing process," he said. "She believes in the power of prayer, and I think she feels the outpouring of love, attention and concern has been crucial."
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)
- The CW's 'Star Crossed' Is The Classic WB Show You've Been Waiting For
- Love 'Cosmos?' Then NASA's 'Images Of A Space-Time Odyssey' Will Make Your Jaw Drop (PHOTOS)