'Grey's Anatomy': Can Derek and Meredith Work Together?
Patrick Dempsey tells THR that there may be too much water under the bridge for the on-screen couple to both work in neuro.
After turning Derek's clinical trial on its head, Grey's Anatomy's top neuro doc will pull Meredith back into neurology when the ABC medical drama returns Thursday.
While Derek (Patrick Dempsey) is eager to share OR time with his wife -- who has been following in her mother's footsteps and working in general surgery of late -- things will not go well for the couple.
"I don't think they can work together," Dempsey told The Hollywood Reporter during a recent set visit. "I think it would damage [their relationship] again."
While the couple has already dealt with the fallout from Meredith tampering with Derek's Alzheimer's clinical trial, the experience may still be in the back of his mind.
"It's a bit of a leap of faith that he's stayed in the relationship after the damage she has done to his career and his credibility as a surgeon," Dempsey says. "I think that's very hard to take. There's too much water under the bridge that they could ever work together again."
Still, Meredith and Derek will give it a go and by the end of the episode -- titled "One Step Too Far" -- they'll address their flawed working relationship.
"Hopefully they'll take a look at what's really going on and say, 'We should really cop to the truth here,' and confront it," Dempsey says.
Watch a preview below. Grey's Anatomy airs Thursdays at 9 p.m. on ABC.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack