TV Ratings: 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Scandal' Finales Rise Double Digits
Fox wins Thursday on the strength of "American Idol"; "Community's" 90-minute season closer dips.
It was a see-saw in the ratings Thursday.
Fox topped the night on the strength of the American Idol results show (15.8 million total viewers, 4.2 rating in adults 18-49), which rose 8 percent in the coveted demographic from last week and posted its highest rating for a Thursday episode since April 12. Kiefer Sutherland's Touch (6.3 million, 1.8), which will be relegated to Fridays for season two, dropped 5 percent.
ABC wrapped up the seasons for its drama lineup, with all shows rising double digits. Ashley Judd's Missing (6.5 million, 1.3) wrapped up its run with an 18 percent jump. An emotional season finale for Grey's Anatomy (11.15 million, 3.9) improved 11 percent from the previous week, helping lead-out Scandal (7.5 million, 2.4) post a dramatic 26 percent improvement -- boding well for the growth of the series as it readies for its second season.
NBC went off-book, scheduling three episodes of Community on one night. Did it pay off? All three episodes tied a series low for the Dan Harmon-created comedy with a 1.3. With episodes at 8, 9 and 9:30 p.m., Community averaged 2.7 million viewers per half-hour. The 30 Rock (2.9 million, 1.3) season ender, thrown into the mix at 8:30 p.m. wasn't boosted by the net's scheduling experiment, down 13 percent.
With the comedy lineup off-kilter, ambitious but canceled drama Awake (2.1 million, 0.7) matched a series low, down 22 percent from its previous original.
CBS saw a mixed bag. Without an original Big Bang Theory (8.3 million, 2.4) to lead into it, Rules of Engagement (7.3 million, 2.1) ended with a 22 percent drop, while drama Person of Interest (13.3 million, 2.5) slipped just 4 percent. The Mentalist (13 million, 2.5), however, righted itself for the finale -- up 4 percent.
The CW aired Perez Hilton All Access (965,000, 0.3) followed by a rerun of The Vampire Diaries (711,000, 0.2).
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game