HBO's 'Newsroom' Opens to Solid 2.1 Million Viewers
The Aaron Sorkin drama bows ahead of "Luck" and "True Blood" and ranks as the cable network's third-best drama premiere since 2008.
HBO's The Newsroom opened to 2.1 million viewers Sunday, besting the recent bow for the ill-fated horse-racing drama Luck.
Factoring in Sunday's 10 p.m. premiere and encore at 11:15 p.m., the installment collected 2.7 million total viewers, with the opening hour's debut serving as the third-best drama series bow since 2008, behind Boardwalk Empire's 4.8 million and Game of Thrones' 2.2 million.
The drama about the inner workings of a cable news show starring Jeff Daniels and from The West Wing's Aaron Sorkin also bested the series premieres of True Blood (1.4 million) and Luck, which collected 1.1 million and was immedately renewed for a second season before being axed after the deaths of three horses.
The Newsroom launch followed a new episode of True Blood, which collected 5 million viewers across two plays at 9 p.m. and 12:30 a.m.
HBO is now streaming the Newsroom premiere on multiple online and on-demand platforms, including YouTube.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)