'Heathers' Sequel Not Moving Forward at Bravo
The update was one of multiple projects in development as the network pushes into original scripted programming.
Jenny Bicks is 0 for 2 in her attempts to bring Heathers to the small screen.
Bravo has opted not to move forward with Bicks' reboot of the 1980s cult movie, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.
As first reported by BuzzFeed, the follow-up that would have revolved around Veronica's teenage daughter and a new generation of mean girls -- all daughters of the surviving Heathers from the 1989 feature starring Winona Ryder and Christian Slater -- is no longer in development at the NBCUniversal-owned cable network.
The project created a firestorm when THR exclusively reported in September that it was one of a handful of projects the cabler was looking to produce as part of its push into original scripted programming.
Bicks penned the script and executive produced alongside Mark Rizzo (The Man Date) for Sony Pictures Television. Tom Rosenberg and Gary Lucchesi executive produced for Lakeshore Entertainment, who were also behind Bicks' 2009 attempt to revive the franchise for Fox.
Bicks told THR in January that she was "excited" about the new incarnation and was in "serious talks" with Bravo for Heathers to move from development to the pilot stage, noting that she'd love to have Ryder reprise her role.
Bravo, which declined comment on the status of Heathers, has had a rocky start with original scripted programming. The network passed on its first produced pilot, Rita, starring Breaking Bad's Anna Gunn, and opted not to move forward with an adaptation of The Joneses. The network on Tuesday picked up its second pilot -- an adaptation of The Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce, from Marti Noxon.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game