History Developing Revolutionary War Miniseries (Exclusive)
"Sons of Liberty" would follow a group of radicals including John Adams, Paul Revere and Sam Adams, among others.
History is going to war.
The cable network, fresh off the ratings success of The Bible and Hatfields & McCoys, is developing a miniseries set around the American Revolution, The Hollywood Reporter has learned exclusively.
Sons of Liberty will follow a defiant and radical group of young men -- including Samuel Adams, John Hancock, John Adams, Paul Revere, Patrick Henry and Benedict Arnold -- as they band together in secrecy to change the course of history and make America a nation. Together, they called themselves the Sons of Liberty and lit the spark of what would become a revolution: the American Revolution.
Details are scarce on the project, but the limited series hails from Stephen David Entertainment, the production company behind History's The Men Who Built America, its eight-hour mini that focused on John D. Rockefeller, Andrew Carnegie and J.P. Morgan. The mini, which was told over four two-hour broadcasts, averaged 2.6 million total viewers in late 2012.
The mini comes a day after History revealed it was developing a Harry Houdini mini with Oscar winner Adrien Brody attached to star.
Both projects come as History has found both critical and ratings success with its longform entries. The Bible recently concluded its 10-episode run with a two-hour finale that averaged 11.7 million viewers, boosting History's first scripted series, Vikings, which was renewed for a second season. Last summer's Hatfields & McCoys shattered network records over the course of its three-day run and concluded with 14.3 million total viewers. It was nominated for 16 Emmys, taking home wins for lead actor Kevin Costner and supporting actor Tom Berenger, among others.
Sons of Liberty comes five years after HBO collected 13 Emmy wins out of 23 nominations for its John Adams miniseries, including statuettes for stars Paul Giamatti, Laura Linney and Tom Wilkinson, among others.
Email: Lesley.Goldberg@thr.com; Twitter: @Snoodit
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)