Hurricane Sandy Prompts Several Broadcast Networks to Air Reruns on Monday
UPDATED: The CW and CBS nix original broadcasts in light of the storm, with the latter airing a one-hour news special about Sandy during "Hawaii Five-0's" 10 p.m. time period.
Hurricane Sandy is forcing several broadcast networks to back out of programming plans for Monday night.
CBS and the CW are among the networks that have decided to air encores in lieu of previously scheduled originals, adding several series to the growing pile that already includes ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live! and Comedy Central's Daily Show and Colbert Report.
The weather system, which is already battering the East Coast and is expected to cause power outages along the seaboard over the next day, is greatly reducing the number of eyeballs that could tune into the night of mostly original programming.
CBS confirms to The Hollywood Reporter that the entire Monday lineup is pushing originals to next week. That includes new episodes of How I Met Your Mother, Partners, 2 Broke Girls, Mike & Molly and Hawaii Five-0, many of which had episodes thematically tied to Halloween. The two-hour comedy block will air encores, while Hawaii Five-0 will be replaced with a one-hour CBS News special devoted to storm coverage.
New episodes of 90210 and Gossip Girl will also be delayed until next Monday, with The CW airing repeats of last Monday's episodes instead.
When contacted by THR, a rep for NBC said that no changes were currently expected for the schedule. That means the network's typically dominant block of The Voice and Revolution will air originals as expected.
ABC is the only network with a live telecast (Dancing With the Stars) on the lineup. The two-hour performance episode, which films in L.A., was still scheduled to tape and air as originally planned when THR reached out to network reps. The network also has an original episode of Castle slotted for 10 p.m.
No decision had been made at Fox. The network, which just finished its postseason baseball coverage with game four of the World Series, is airing a previously scheduled encore of The X Factor between 8 and 10 p.m.
More to come...
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's Top 25 Stylist, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Grant Gustin Is Proud & Stoked to Wear 'Flash' Costume!
- Angelina Jolie Reveals She Will Have Another Preventative Cancer Surgery
- Shailene Woodley Slams 'Twilight' to 'Teen Vogue': It's About An Unhealthy, Toxic Relationship
- Sarah Michelle Gellar & James Wolk Are 'The Crazy Ones' at Hall of Fame Gala!