Jaycee Dugard Tells ABC News' Diane Sawyer She Forgives Kidnappers
The 31-year-old, freed from 18 years of captivity in 2009, visits the "World News" anchor on her first trip to New York to talk about when she thinks she'll be come out of hiding and why she doesn't dwell on the past.
More than eight months after sitting down for her first televised interview, kidnapping victim Jaycee Dugard checks in with ABC News' Diane Sawyer during Tuesday's World News.
The 31-year-old, who famously escaped kidnappers Philip and Nancy Garrido in 2009 after 18 years living in their backyard and giving birth to two of Garrido's daughters, spoke with Sawyer during a recent trip to New York. She made the trek to be honored at the Diane von Furstenberg Awards.
"Just walking down the street, with everybody, it was my favorite moment," Dugard tells Sawyer of the freeing experience of traveling. "Just being free to do what I want to do, when I want to do it... That's the whole learning process to, to know that you can."
The trip was a first in many ways for Dugard. She's remained in hiding for the most part since her release, largely out of a desire to keep her daughters (17 and 14) out of the public eye.
"I think in time as they get older they'll know how to deal with it better and that would be the time that we would come out," she says.
She also admits that she's forgiven her captors, noting that there are more important things to focus on. " I feel like I can make a difference," she says of her foundation, Just Ask Yourself to Care (JAYC). "I don't want to be remembered for what happened."
Oprah Winfrey, also honored at Friday's DVF Awards, praised Dugard onstage at the ceremony: "I am so proud of you, your courage, your ability to press onward toward the future."
Dugard's latest interview with Sawyer airs Tuesday night.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'