'Jersey Shore' Premiere Ratings Down 1.2 Million From Previous Season
UPDATED: Season 5 of MTV's reality dynamo returns lower than the last outing but only trails NCAA bowl games in the year's strongest cable broadcasts.
After a brief hiatus, MTV's Jersey Shore returned Thursday night with a strong -- but noticeably lower -- Season 5 debut.
The 10:00 p.m. broadcast brought in 7.6 million viewers, according to fast affiliate ratings, easily winning the night among cable broadcasts and only ranking below ESPN's airings of the Sugar, Rose and Fiesta Bowls as the new year's most watched.
This number is down from August's premiere of Season 4, which brought in 8.8 million for the series -- the most successful in network history.
A drop was largely expected for Jersey Shore. Its recent season concluded fewer than three months ago. A 14 percent drop is hardly bad for a series of its age.
In the network's coveted adults 18-49 demographic, Jersey Shore brought in a 4.0 rating. That's a drop of 7 percent from the last premiere, which scored a 4.3 rating, and a 8 percent jump from the last episode, October's Season 4 finale. That score is also down a shade from its Season 3 premiere score of a 4.2 in the demo.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game