Jimmy Kimmel's Uncle Frank Tribute: What Fans Say
"Attended the sweetest, funniest, most moving memorial for my late pal "Uncle Frank' on the JKL set.Good job @JimmyKimmel," Tweets Kathy Griffin.
Jimmy Kimmel paid a touching tribute to his late Uncle Frank Potenza on his late-night show Tuesday.
"Listen, I'm gonna try to do this without crying, but I'm probably gonna fail," he told his audience. "But just turn away or something, because it's embarrassing. It really is."
"It's hard to believe he's now the 'late' Uncle Frank because he was never ever late for anything," Kimmel quipped, joking that never wanted to be late for anything and in fact would show up "10, 11, 12" hours early for the show's taping.
Kimmel also said that Potenza, who died on Aug. 20 at age 77, had "few different kinds of cancer."
Fans and famous friends immediately commended the tribute on Twitter:
TheRock Dwayne Johnson
My condolences @jimmykimmel. I loved Uncle Frank and was blessed to know him. Stay strong brother.
LeahRemini Leah Remini
Watching sweetJimmy Kimmel talking about his Uncle Frank who passed. Showing his love for him R.I.P Uncle Frank. Prayers w, his family
jordanknight Jordan Knight
Watching Jimmy Kimmel talk about his Uncle Frank who passed...very touching ...and funny actually...
DonRickles Don Rickles
Honored Jimmy Kimmel said "thanks to all the nice tweets about my Uncle Frank-we'll pay tribute tonight with his favorite guest Don Rickles"
kathygriffin Kathy Griffin
Attended the sweetest, funniest, most moving memorial for my late pal "Uncle Frank' on the JKL set.Good job @JimmyKimmel
jespi55 Jim Espinoza
Classy, touching, funny and very real. Great tribute by @jimmykimmel as one of best @jimmykimmellive shows. RIP Uncle Frank.
TVMoJoe Joe Adalian
We should all be so loved to have a tribute as sweet and genuine as the one Jimmy Kimmel gave to his Uncle Frank tonight. Beautiful.
LuValentino Lu Valentino
I laughed a ton of tears watching the tribute to "Uncle Frank" on tonite's #JKL w/ @jimmykimmel
Sittin here crying watching @jimmykimmel pay tribute to Uncle Frank... GREAT show! RIP Uncle Frank
JeffLoveness Jeff Loveness
Watch Kimmel tonight. I didn't know Uncle Frank, but I wish I did. It's a beautifully sincere episode.
franklinavenue Michael Schneider
I hope you guys are watching #JimmyKimmelLive right now. Emotional, touching tribute to Uncle Frank.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, Plus A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10