Kate Middleton Delivers First Speech, Sans William (Video)
With poise -- albeit some nervous jitters -- the Duchess of Cambridge pulls off her debut public address to open a children's hospice in Ipswich, England.
A big part of Kate Middleton's duty as Duchess of Cambridge, besides countless media appearances, is giving speeches. The soft-spoken, shiny-locked wife of Prince William might not be a microphone-seeking spotlight chaser, but despite her demure persona, Middleton proved a graceful -- if initially shaky -- public speaker in the first-ever speech of her royal life.
On Monday, Middleton spoke in front of a crowd -- and camera -- to open the Treehouse Children's Hospice in Ipswich, England. She appeared somewhat jittery at first but quickly gained confidence, speaking in a measured, soothing cadence that echoed the nurturing tones of Princess Diana.
"I'm only sorry that William can't be here today," said the global fashion plate (in a blue Reiss dress), cracking a smile. "He would love it here."
The newlyweds celebrate their first anniversary on April 29; William, a helicopter pilot in the Royal Air Force, is wrapping up a six-week tour of duty in the Falkland Islands.
Check out the footage of Middleton's address below.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Audrey Evans and Alonza Bevan of Tumblewild Discuss Their Evocative New Album, When the World Had Four Corners
- Joe McGinniss Dead: 'Fatal Vision' Author Dies At 71
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera