Kevin Hart Creates the 'Fakest Reality Show' With BET's 'Real Husbands of Hollywood'
"We’re mocking what everybody is doing," especially Bravo's "Real Housewives," says Hart.
Reality television has been derided as staged and contrived. But comedian Kevin Hart’s upcoming BET series will be the “fakest reality show ever,” he says. "We're mocking what everybody is doing."
Real Husbands of Hollywood, which bows Jan. 15, spoofs the over-the-top antics of Bravo’s Real Housewives franchise. The program features Hart and real-life friends JB Smoove, Nick Cannon, Boris Kodjoe, Robin Thicke and Duane Martin and occasionally their real-life wives including Cannon’s wife, Mariah Carey. Other guest stars include Shaquille O’Neal, Russell Simmons, Nelly and Common.The series, which like Curb Your Enthusiasm is largely unscripted and improvisational, began as a skit on the 2011 BET Awards and morphed into a full-blown series under the guidance of veteran television producers Ralph Farquhar and Stan Lathan.
“Rather than creating these situations, the people on our show are making these situations,” said Hart. For instance: “JB speaking, he spits a lot, let’s talk about it. We’re catty, we’re not getting along.”
Asked what he would do if Real Husbands received a second-season order and he had to make a choice between BET and HBO’s Curb, Smoove said: “My ass would leave right now.”
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR