Kirk Cameron Calls Piers Morgan Insensitive Over Anti-Gay Interview Broadcast, Host Fires Back
The devout Christian actor and the CNN interviewer trade barbs and accusations as Cameron's homophobic comments were revisited during the "Today Show."
Kirk Cameron tried to walk back high profile anti-gay comments he made during an interview with Piers Morgan earlier this month, and in doing so, ignited a rivalry with the host himself.
Cameron called homosexuality "unnatural" and "destructive" and said that he does not support gay marriage during the interview, which drew rebukes from GLAAD and his own former Growing Pains castmates. On the Today Show, Cameron said that he was surprised that his comments garnered so much attention, given his long history of Christian conservative activism, and that he was taken out of context.
"I love all people, I hate no one," Cameron said. "When you take a subject and reduce it to something like a four-second sound bite and a check mark on a ballot, I think that that's inappropriate and insensitive. ... To edit it down to that, it certainly didn't reflect my full heart on the matter."
He had previously said that he had heard words of support from his gay friends after the initial interview.
"Kirk Cameron is moaning everywhere today that I stitched him up by releasing a 4-second 'soundbite' re his comments on gay marriage," he tweeted. "These are the 4 seconds: homosexuality is 'unnatural..detrimental, and ultimately destructive to so many of the foundations of civilization... Mr Cameron 'stands by the comments', despite his whining. So I'll let others decide if he was stitched up...or just a bigot."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot in TV
Follow the Feed
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack